Sunday, September 4, 2011

CAN LIFE BE FAIR?

I was having a discussion about life being fair.
I am a mom to 4 children.....who by the way are not really children anymore but adults.
I love each one of them.
There were moments and even days in each one of their lives that maybe I didn't like them but I loved them never-the-less. I always will love them because they are part of me. No matter where they go or are or what they say or do, I will always love them. I might be disappointed at times (and I certainly don't want to ever see their names in print in the newspaper for criminal activity!!) but I will always love them. And that love sometimes means that you want to spend time and money on them. I love to be with them. Sometimes that means helping out when they need a little help albeit money or time or cleaning or a meal or just a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on.
This can and does apply to my siblings and/or friends also.

Have I been or can I be or do I have to be totally fair with what I do for each person?
Probably not. I really try to be. I don't lie awake at night planning on ways to be partial or who I am going to spend what on or whom I should give what to. Each child, each sibling, each friend and each  family has and will have different needs at different times in their lives. And so different means not always equal or fair.

Is it fair that we were all born here in freedom here in the United States?
 I have a husband, 4 healthy children, I still have my parents, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles and nieces & nephews. Is it fair that I have a intact extended family?
Look around and see people with severe health issues or defective bodies or who have children with real health/emotional issues. Is it fair?

Is it fair that:
      : one of my children owns a house and the others are renting
      : 2 of my children walked to high school and 2 of them got to drive
      : one football player blows out his ACL while others continue to play?
      : one student excels in math and science and another one struggles?
      : some have lots of babies and others never can?
      : two men go to work from 8-5 and one makes twice as much money as the other one?
      : one mom dies at 53 and one is still alive at 85?
      : some celebrate their 60th anniversary and others never marry?
      : one drives a BMW and another a rent-a-wreck?
      : one family has a big house with empty rooms and the next family not enough room?

I believe that a lot of what we experience and how our lives are and how fair things are is because of 2 things:
1. God is in charge and we all get our blessings and trials from Him. We came here for a body and to be tested and to learn and grow.
2. We each have had and will continue to have the freedom to make choices that lands us in certain places and circumstances, both pre-mortally and now here on earth. The choices that we have made and continue to make have lasting consequences; emotionally, financially, physically, and spiritually.

Nobody said that it would be fair...but it would be worth it.

So, is life fair?
No. Never has been, never will be...can't be, won't be.

I reserve the right to choose to give or do or make or take or buy or pay for or whatever without making it equal or fair to all the others. With my children, my neighbors, and my friends.
There will be times in everyone's life when they need something more than another.
Christmas and birthday presents don't have to add up to the exact same dollar amount.
Vacations will be taken to different places with different people.
Dinners will comprise of varied guests.
Somebody's lunch tab will be picked up.
A gift will be given for no reason.

So, as far as I am concerned, please don't keep track of what I did or didn't do, how much things costs, who gave and who got, who did what last, how much you didn't get, why did he get, who gets to go where, when is it my turn, whatever and blah, blah, blah.
Cause that's not fair!!!!










1 comment:

  1. Here here!!! I am glad you posted this because life isn't fair and you should stop worrying so much about trying to make it fair for all those you love. Your the best, I love you.

    ReplyDelete