Happy Anniversary to my darling daughter.
How can 5 years go by so quickly?
Or did it?
Five years ago, I got my bronze Lexus. It was a complete surprise. It was the perfect car for me. Made me happy. Spoiled me.
Five years ago, all 4 of my children still lived and slept under our roof.
Five years ago, I had only 1 college graduate.
Five years ago, I cooked dinner every night.
Five years ago, my oldest son was fresh home from Brazil.
Five years ago, I put gorgeous green granite in my remodeled kitchen.
Five years ago, we played family games every Sunday night.
Five years ago, meant football every Friday night.
Five years ago, to the day, my brother in law was diagnosed with cancer. He died in 6 months.
Five years ago, I always styled and dried my hair.
Five years ago, I weighed 20 pounds more.
Five years ago, unbeknownst to me, my other daughter was falling in love.
Five years ago, my youngest son was the sophomore football star with 2 good knees.Five years ago, I had 4 kids at 4 different schools.
Five years ago, on this date, my oldest daughter got married. We spent 12 weeks together nearly everyday planning the wedding. They were some of the happiest, busiest, most emotional, funnest weeks of my life. So many places to go, things to do, decisions to make, foods to taste, dresses to try on, people to meet, pictures to take, checks to write. I loved spending my days with her as often as we could. We became even closer. We shared some days together that will never be forgotten nor can ever be replaced. We never had a melt down or tears. She let me live the whole engagement with her. I loved every minute of it. I liked her wedding and party better than mine, 35 years ago.
That Thursday in October was a warm, breezy autumn day. A storm came in the next day bringing snow. She was one lucky girl.
It was hard for me to let her go. I had to work hard not to cry too much. I knew I was losing her.
I think that she was happy with all of our planning and how her wedding day turned out.
She says she wants to do it again.
Five years ago I watched my daughter glow with love. She was a most beautiful bride. I saw her marry a young man who had known her for 8 years. We knew that he loved her. He had waited his turn and was patient and in the end he won the prize. Now she belongs to him. He was and is so good to her.
Five years later, I have 3 married children and 3 in-law children.
Five years later, both of my sons have completed honorable church missions.
Five years later, I have 2 of the cutest grandsons ever made.
Five years later, 3 out of my 4 kids are college graduates.
Five years later, I cook twice a week.
Five years later, we hardly ever play games.
Five years later, I work out at the gym and try to keep my weight stable.
Five years later, we go to bed regularly at 11.
Five years later, I wear my hair naturally curly.
Five years later, only 1 of my children lives at home.
Five years later, 2 of my children have moved far away.
Five years later, football isn't so important anymore to my baby boy but being able to use his knee is.
Five years later, my father is 90, and walks a little slower but with my mother still holding his hand.
Five years later, I drive a silver BMW.
Five years later, we can travel whenever and where ever we want.
Five years later, I have no children going to school.
Five years. Sounds like a long time.....but is really just a blink.
I am grateful for that beautiful fall day, 5 years ago. I am grateful for a darling daughter that chose to marry the right man, in the right place, at the right time.
Here's to what may come in the next 5 years.

What a great post! Thank you for taking your time to write all that for me. I love you and I still cherish all the wedding fun we had. Xoxo
ReplyDeleteVery nice post Renee! Thank you for letting me marry Canessa. I'm not sure it would have worked very well without your support. You are very good to us. Heres to another five years.
ReplyDelete