Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cancun January 2011

                     CANCUN  2011

    Hubby & myself always go away to somewhere warm in the winter months. That's the one good thing about having an anniversary in January. This year we traded a week with our timeshare and ended up in Cancun. We have been there several times before. We like to go there for several reasons: 1)the airfare is reasonable, 2) it is a short 4 hour non-stop flight with a 15 minute shuttle ride to our resort, 3)food and services are cheaper than Hawaii, 4)it is always warm, 5) they provide free activities and classes. We have always stayed at one of the 5 Royal properties that are there. They have full kitchens, are well maintained, have 24 hour security guards and have several on-site restaurants. We have always felt very safe, the drinking water is filtered, several big pools that are warm, and the workers are happy and helpful. You could sit there on your balcony or on a beach chair and not have to go or do anything all week. This time we took Colin & Katie with us since their school was off that week.
    A hurricane came through Cancun a few years ago and washed away a lot of their sand and beaches. This past year the Mexican government spent millions of dollars hauling in more sand and the results were great. We were able to swim in a warm, soft sandy bottomed ocean, walk along the wide beautifully manicured beaches or lay in the sun all within steps from our unit.
    As a redhead I have learned that I can have about 5 minutes in the sun without sunscreen. The  rest of the week I can gradually build up a little tan with lots of sunscreen, a hat and covered lounge chairs. But I usually don't get burnt anymore. Some other un-named member of our party forgot to re-apply their sunscreen after we went to the water aerobics class and got a little red. But we all came home a little more tan and feeling and looking rested.
   This year for something new to do, we took the ferry and went over to Isla Mujeres, a little island across the water, for the day. We ate breakfast there and snorkeled, shopped and wandered around. It is very "local" and small. They use golf-carts to get around!!
   Colin & Katie went to Tulum and Chichen-itza and to Xel-ha, on their own since we had already been to them in previous years. I'm sure Katie will post her pictures and you will be able to see them on her blog site.
   We had a great week. Lots of warm sun, (we got our share of Vit. D) plenty of Mexican food, fun and entertaining water aerobics classes, a warm ocean to swim in where we were able to kick up big conch shells with our feet, an air conditioned full condo where we could nap, cook or play spades at night. The kids were good sports to sleep on the Murphy beds in the living room but the price was right!! I read 3 books and went through old magazines and painted my nails. I didn't even mind C's snoring. Life is good.
my favorite daughter-in-law

4 comments:

  1. GOOD job mom! The pictures and the text looks great. I am sad I didn't get to go to Cancun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You posted! I want to go to Cancun next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh happy happy days!!! I'm so glad we got to go with you...I just wish we could still be there laying in the warm sun and looking for conch shells! Thanks for letting us go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at these pictures and reading about your trip makes me wish I was there right now! How fun, and great tips about going to Mexico vs. Hawaii. I might have to get some more info. from you the next time we plan a big trip!

    ReplyDelete