Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Use it or lose it

     I go to the gym 6 days a week. And then I walk on Sundays. I 'm not bragging, just stating a fact. I have made this a priority and can spend the time now at this point in my life. I really do look forward to it now. It has taken me 2 years to really honestly say that. I don't just use the machines or walk on the treadmill. I make myself take a class of some kind. It was and sometimes still is out-of-my-comfort-zone. Muscle pump, Pilates, boot camp, spinning, Zumba, tone & sculpt, etc. I am one of the oldest ladies in these classes. Most of the girls are in their 20's or 30's. They could be my daughters. I try not to be intimidated by their much younger, firmer, tanner, thinner bodies. I don't try to keep up with them. I listen to my body and do what I can. I often am sore, tired, sweaty and look awful after a class!!!!
     I don't exercise to be better, thinner or buffer than the girl next to me. It is not a competition. I go for myself. I know that it is good for me physically and mentally. I do have better muscle definition and tone and I can last longer aerobically. I am able to maintain the weight that I have lost over these past few years with exercise and sensible eating. I have worked hard to lose my weight. No shots or pills or magic potion. Just watching what I eat, a monthly meeting at Weight Watchers,  and exercise. I feel better, have more energy and truly am in better shape than I have been for many, many, many years.
     I know that I am getting older. I know that exercise won't prevent me from having some injury or health problems in the future. I know that some day I still will die. But I want to have the best quality of life while I am still alive. I am learning to love this mortal body of mine. It is not perfect nor thin but it is mine and I want to take good care of it and make it last as long as I can.
    So the question is. Why is it that it takes weeks and even months to gain strength or lose a pound but only a couple of days on vacation to noticeably lose strength and endurance and gain weight?
  
     USE IT OR LOSE IT....is what my husband has always said.
I think this can also applies to lots of other areas in our lives.....talents, mental capacity, foreign languages, cooking, etc.

   So remember to USE IT OR LOSE IT.
 

  
  

2 comments:

  1. I've lost it and I feel crappy and tired. I could sleep 12 hours a day. I am very proud of you and what you have accomplished. Keep going to to the gym because I bet those younger ladies wish that their mom's were taking good care of their bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lost it and I feel crappy and tired. I could sleep 12 hours a day. I am very proud of you and what you have accomplished. Keep going to to the gym because I bet those younger ladies wish that their mom's were taking good care of their bodies!

    ReplyDelete