Thursday, April 7, 2011

Feast or Famine

I have a great life.
But it is forever changing. I've learned to accept change.
I have only been doing this "empty nest" thing for 8 months now.
There are days now in my week that go by so quickly and other days seem too long.
Some weeks loom empty with not much to do on my calendar. But then there are others that fill up way to fast and I can't get to the things that I want to do. And remember that there's always years worth of unfinished scrapbooks!!!!! (don't get behind)
Last Friday afternoon at 3, I was home alone reading a book. But by 11 p.m. I had 4 "big" people and 1 baby here for a sleepover. Had to scurry around to get beds made up and make sure that there was TP in each bathroom. Not enough "tall" beds for "tall" men.
Sunday I made a complete turkey dinner to serve 8. Monday night we had leftovers for 2.
FEAST OR FAMINE.
Somebody asked me the other day what things I miss/don't miss now that my kids are gone.

So here's some things for you young mothers to cherish or dread.

Things that I DON'T miss at all.
1. poopy diapers,
2. waking up several times in the middle of the night
3. making sack lunches
4. waiting on the stairs at 1 a.m. for someone to finally come home
5. angry words with a pre-teen
6. cleaning up throw up
7. finding out from somebody else what your child did wrong
8. trying to help with algebra or any math homework after 7th grade!!!!
9. a teen-ager saying "I hate you"
10. feeling like I had no alone time with my husband
11. being on a budget
12. that worried, scared pit in my stomach

Things that I DO miss.
1. the smell of a freshly bathed, lotioned baby
2. the shout of "Mom....I'm home"
3. watching your kid make a touchdown or a basket or the dance step and cheering
4. having someone to sit with in church
5. thinking, planning and making Halloween costumes and birthday parties
6. making somebody's favorite dinner or treat
7. all their friends coming over to hang out & eat
8. late-night-after-date conversations
9. sitting in the rocking chair, nursing a sleepy sweet baby
10. prom dress shopping
11. the noise & laughter at the dinner table
12. watching Disney videos with my kids and singing along
13. bedtime stories & songs
14. going to the zoo or Lagoon with toddlers

Most of the things that I do miss I will get to do again with my grandchildren. Fun!!!
So, young moms......
   enjoy the little things in life....for one day you'll look back and realize that they were the BIG things.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You wrote! Its true about feast or famine but soon we will be in sunny arizona! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your 2 lists...especially since I one of the children you waited for on the stairs at 1:30 AM in the dark :)

    ReplyDelete